Monday, May 16, 2011

If You Want Something Done... Do It Yourself!



When I decided to create this blog I had millions of ideas on my mind of how I was going to put things together. With the all the chaos running through my mind I remained focused on my top two goals:

1) GET STARTED
2) NEVER GIVE UP!

With these two things in mind I knew that I had to get started. So without hesitation I jumped right into the blogging world and created my blog. Google quickly became my new best friend. I was searching everything from top bloggers to mommy bloggers. I knew I wanted my blog to stand out so I decided it was time to work on the design. I did not know where to start, I did not even know how to start. That is when I began to search for the answer. I searched until I came across a site called  Makin' Cute Blogs. I was fascinated with how cute this blog was and the first thing I thought was I want my blog to look like this, well not exactly. I just knew that this was the blog I needed to see.

After reading through their about page I came to the tutorial page where I found a section of three tutorials which consisted of: 
  • Easy DIY Design Tutorials ( no professional software needed)
  • Intermediate DIY Design Tutorials (basic professional software needed )
  • Advanced DIY Design Tutorials ( advanced professional software needed )
So with me not having much free time or the money to invest into professional software I decided to try the easy way.

It taught me how to create a header using Picnik which is one of my favorite online picture editing sites but never did I think about using it to create a header for my blog. It also taught me how to use a site called COLOURlovers to create a background. I have never heard of this site before but I am so glad I found it. You can create and color so many amazing patters to make backgrounds for your site or blog. I played with this all night just for fun. 

I created two headers using Picnik: 


Then I created two backgrounds using COLOURlovers:



Then I combined the two that I thought would fit my blog template best to come up with the final design for Tranquility, Tantrums, & Tiaras. I must say I had so much fun doing this and it really was EASY

So the next time you're thinking about paying someone else to do something remember that things are so much more fun when you do them yourself!

2 comments:

  1. so pretty, good for you for working on it yourself! Came over from the SITS comment hour.

    I was wondering, how do you add those bright, colorful social media buttons? I have blogger, too, and my buttons are tiny & grey! I like these so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed using Picnik too. It's so easy and you can really spend hours playing around with it. Your blog looks great, you should be so proud that you did it on your own and for free!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my castle today! I would love for you to share a little magic with me. So comment below and wave your magic wand... *This Is Where The Magic Begins!*

ShareThis